Two things to weigh as you consider signing up for a working retreat like the Novel-In-Progress Bookcamp, sponsored by the Wisconsin Writers Association, are the facilities and amenities: Will they be comfortable and conducive to the goals I set for myself?
We picked Cedar Valley Center & Spa exactly because it does both, for a remarkably reasonable price.
Nestled in 100 green acres of rolling hills in the rural kettle moraine region of southeast Wisconsin, Cedar Valley offers:
- Comfortable overnight accommodations, both private and double occupancy, each room with its own bathroom with shower;
- Three delicious, Wisconsin farmstead meals prepared fresh daily in a country-style dining room, and continuous beverage service;
- An attentive staff that will take care of our needs while giving us ample space to work;
- Plenty of cozy nooks to curl up with your laptop and work—in your room, elsewhere in the main building, or outside to enjoy the lovely and inspiring views;
- Spacious classrooms and group gathering areas;
- Winding trails through wooded hills, green pastures and flowered prairies, swimming pond, outdoor labyrinth, and resting spots to reflect, converse, or work on your novel amid rural peace and quiet;
- Cedar Valley also is a rescue shelter for four horses that provide their own rustic ambiance to the center—and they love apple-bearing visitors;
- An in-house spa offering an assortment of massage options; manicures, pedicures, body polishes; paraffin hand treatment; even acupuncture. (Spa services are not included in the Bookcamp registration fee, but can be scheduled individually by contacting Cedar Valley directly.)
- Spring in Wisconsin is perhaps the loveliest of seasons, with green foliage, blooming plants, and generally cool and comfortable weather. Spring showers are always a possibility.
- Located about 35 miles northwest of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Cedar Valley is only minutes from West Bend, Wisconsin, a regional retail center of 32,000 offering interesting shops, department stores, unique restaurants and museums—including the newly-built, $9 million, Museum of Wisconsin Art, an architectural gem.
- Easily reachable by freeway from Milwaukee’s Billy Mitchell International Airport, rental cars available, or shuttle service can be arranged through the Bookcamp.
Cedar Valley promotes itself as “an affordable getaway alternative to expensive day spas or resorts,” for personal, family, organizational, business, and church-sponsored events. Each year the center’s experienced staff hosts retreats, conferences, classes, seminars, and meetings catering to the artistic, cultural, and spiritual needs of its clients.
Cedar Valley is a division of Cedar Community, a nationally recognized not-for-profit, church-affiliated provider of health care services and retirement housing on five campuses in Southeast Wisconsin.